Centrifugal Pumps: Design & Function
Centrifugal Pumps: Design & Function is part one of the Centrifugal Pumps five-part training series.
The course identifies centrifugal pumps in industry today. It distinguishes between centrifugal and positive displacement pumps and describes the beneficial features and purposes of each. A further explanation of pump components is provided in order to understand component differences and how they are used in classifying pumps.
Course objectives include:
- Explain the differences between centrifugal and positive displacement pumps
- Describe the basic design of a centrifugal pump
- Classify centrifugal pumps according to staging, casing split, shaft coupling, suction position, and volute
- Identify and describe the functions of various centrifugal pump components
- Explain compression packing, lantern rings, and external lubrication in regard to a stuffing box
- Explain the purpose and function of mechanical seals.