Basic Engine Lathe: Mounting & Truing Work In The Four-Jaw, Independent Chuck
Basic Engine Lathe: Mounting & Truing Work in the Four-Jaw Independent Chuck is part six of the Basic Engine Lathe 14-part training series.
The course demonstrates the fundamentals of mounting a chuck on an engine lathe and truing a workpiece in a chuck. These operations are basic to the training of any machinist and must be mastered before students can successfully move on to the operations that require more complex skills.
Course objectives include:
- Understand the safety procedures required in every machine shop
- Explain the four steps for mounting a four-jaw independent chuck
- Explain the four steps for truing a workpiece by the chalk method
- Explain the five steps for truing a workpiece by the dial test indicator method.
Mounting and Truing Work in the Chuck
- Steps in Mounting a Four-Jaw Independent Chuck
- Methods of Aligning Workpieces