Basic Machine Technology: Sharpening Drill Bits by Hand or the Drill Press
Basic Machine Technology: Sharpening Drill Bits by Hand or the Drill Press is part seven of the Basic Machine Technology 10-part training series.
The course teaches students two methods of grinding twist drills. The first method, hand grinding, is performed on a pedestal grinder with the machinist doing all the manipulations by hand. The second method, drill point grinding, is performed the same way but with a drill grinder. Since every machine shop does not have a precision drill point grinder, students need to know how to perform drilling techniques using both methods.
The course covers:
- Drill bit descriptions and sizes
- Tip angles
- Hand grinding
- Drill point grinding machines
- Checking accuracy.
- Safety, Description, and Sizes
- Drill Point Description
- Angle and Typical All-Purpose Drill Bit
- Hand Sharpening and Checking Accuracy
- Drill Point Grinding Machines