Thermography: Basic Operation
Thermography: Basic Operation is part one of the Thermography three-part training series.
The course introduces students to the principles of heat. Conduction, convection, and radiation are presented to build an understanding of how heat is transferred. Emittance, reflectance, and transmittance are introduced to help students understand the different types of infrared radiation. Also discussed is how each infrared property affects the readings taken by the thermal imager.
Course objectives include:
- Understand what infrared energy is, how it behaves, and how it can be used in a predictive maintenance program
- Identify the different types of heat transfer
- Understand the principles of thermography
- Identify the equipment used to record thermographic images
- Explain the basic considerations for taking thermographic measurements.
Principles of Heat Transfer
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Conduction, Convection, Radiation
- Emissivity, Reflectivity, Transmissivity
- Thermographic Measurements
- Pyrometer and Thermal Imager
- Surface and Medium Considerations
- Hardware and Software Selection